Saturday, September 27, 2008

Top Secret Project Update


I've spent another weekend hacking away at my top secret project and I feel that every day I work on it that I am getting closer to being able to use it. In fact, I'm just a few major-usability bugs away from using it day to day! After I spend a few weeks working on it, then a few more weeks fixing what I see as show stoppers I hope to be able to show it off to a couple of people.

Looking at what I've done so far this summer leaves me both depressed and excited. I'm a bit sad because I am so far away from what I hoped to have accomplished by this point. At the same time, I'm excited about what I have been able to do. I've learned a ton about Java and realized that it is a pretty awesome language. I feel it is a good way for me to stretch my brain. With python you can throw everything against a wall, 'import antigravity' and have the crap float away, leaving you with something usable. With Java, I feel I have to plan things out a bit better. I have to live with the consequences of my decisions and deal with every shortcut I inevitable take. As a result I'm much more careful about what I do. Even if I do take a shortcut, these days they don't tend to last very long as I get irritated with the way my code looks or interacts and I refactor until I'm happy.

One thing I haven't gotten around to learning is unit testing. I thought I would have more time to work on the project this summer and fully expected to be twice as far along as I am today, with solid unit testing coverage. Instead I'm not even at a usable point with my project and I've not written one Java unit test. The python side of my app has a few tests but still nothing worthy of being called "coverage."